Friday 19 June 2015

Ottawa lost an iconic DJ last night



Last night, DJ Leslise (Leslie Hodge) passed away. She was an influential part of the Ottawa alternative scene, especially the goth and industrial scene. She was the leading force behind projects like Zaphod's Industrial night, which ran for over 20 years every Tuesday night at Zaphods Beeblebrox Bar. When that ended she quickly founded the group responsible for Retro Night and Geeks-&-Bleeps Night at Swizzles Bar, which ran every third and fourth Saturday each month. She frequently put the music and scene she loved first; she made it a priority and kept the scene in Ottawa shining.

I didn't know Leslie closely. We were acquaintances, having shared a small conversation here or there. I wish that I had been able to know her better, and I wish that I had been able to express to her my gratitude towards her passion and enthusisasm. I'm glad to say that the last time we spoke I said thank you to her; thanks for all that she'd done for our little Ottawa alternative scene. But I wish that I could have said more; that I could have known her better.

She was a connection between so many people. If it weren't for her and her dedication, I would not have met many of the people I am close to today. I would not be as involved in the Ottawa underground. And I would not belong to the same beautiful subculture and social circle.

Rest in Peace Leslie. Thank you for being an inspirational spirit. May you find a beautiful beyond.

1 comment: